Wednesday, August 27, 2008

mixed banjo news

After a very unsatisfying hour of pickin' yesterday, today I remembered to trim my fingernails so that I can play actual chords that sound right. "Good Night Ladies" is coming along, and now I'm switching that out with the forward roll exercise of "Roving Gambler" to encourage me to work out the kinks so I can move on. There's an additional exercise online for the alternating thumb roll, which is a different version of "Roving Gambler" but I haven't bothered to print it out yet. One of these days I'll remember.

Then my friend Leah showed me the Jefferson Starship song "The Baby Tree," so there's another tune I'll have to track down tab for. And on my way home from the post office today it occurred to me that The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets song "Cultists on Board" is really begging for a bluegrass treatment.

I have pictures of my crocheted strap now too, although the detail pictures I had Mark take are too blurry (thanks to a certain Gaz's grimy fingerprints) to bother posting. I even wrote down the pattern, but it's all the way over there and I want to go to sleep.

No comments: