Saturday, August 23, 2008

twang and crochet

Practice is going well, and you can peep a picture of me in "The Shed" (aka The Library) playing a jaunty tune. Whee! I have to sit in that awkward position because it turns out that resting the pot against my still-lactating breast will lead to plugged ducts (and thereby, an infection). Still, I am undeterred. My fingertips are toughening up, and "Good Night Ladies" actually sounds like it should, albeit with some frustrating chord-change hiccups.

It's coming along so well, I moved up to "Roving Gambler" for a little while, which uses a whole 'nother sort of roll.* I already practiced once today, but I may try to work in another half hour in a bit. I'm seriously tempted by "Gun Street Girl" which is only a two-chord song. I only know one of the chords, of course, and the other looks impossible (am I the only one who can't span three frets between my ring and pinkie fingers?), but it's such a nice unstructured song I just want to pick until I figure out the leisurely hand it employs. It also helps that this is one of the songs in my Indiana collection. I am most nostalgic for the state of my birth when I am experiencing it in song form.

I am also crocheting a strap for Sea Monkey, based loosely on a cradle strap. I've got the shoulder pad part done, and now I just need to crochet up a really, really long narrow strap that can go all the way around me and the banjo. It took two days for the shoulder strap, which was about 3" x 24" and now my hands are pretty well angry at me. Again. So while I really want to have a strap that is comfortable and attaches properly to SM, I probably need a day off. Especially since hands are useful for other things. Like, you know, everything.

And miracle of miracles, Gaz insisted on an early bedtime. It's like I hit the lottery.

* That would be the forward roll. Not a kaiser roll. Not an onion roll either.

No comments: