Thursday, September 25, 2008

slowly going forward

I turned the page! And slides are killing me! And they're an essential component of bluegrass music! So I have to learn them! But pinches are hella easy and they sound pretty too. I'm working on an arrangement of "Cripple Creek" that's got slides and pinches. Knowing the tune and the tune being a particularly beautiful one are my motivators. I'm really glad I got the banjo I did, since the neck is more narrow than the Gold Tone's was. I'm having a hard enough time sliding and keeping my fingers off the other strings at the same time, if there was more neck in the way I would probably still be on the floor crying.

This morning I practiced in my old bedroom with the windows open. Since I was off in the far corner of the house, I decided to leave the mute off so I could have a better idea of how my slide attempts sound. I love practicing with the mute off, and the wildlife seemed to love it too: a bee showed up and buzzed around the screen every time I played. So today, practice was hard, but in a good way. I'm sounding more and more bluegrassy every day, and that makes me quite happy.

No comments: